Let’s face it, the hardest part of exercising is actually DOING it. Oh, and the fact that exercising sucks. There are so many days when I just want to be a bag of lazy bones and skip it. I usually regret it though. Technically, you should exercise at least 3 days a week if not more.
For a little motivation, I’m going to give you some tips to starting an exercise regimen. If you’ve got 12 minutes, you can workout. And let’s face it, everyone has at least 12 minutes.
1. The biggest tips of all is to find something that is FUN to you. Yes, exercising can be FUN! If you dread doing it then it’s not fun.
2. Grab a FRIEND. There are multiple benefits to having a friend workout with you. First of all, you both hold each other accountable. You are less likely to back out of working out if you feel like you are going to let someone down. Second of all, you both get to share in each other’s success. You are each other’s cheerleader!
3. TRAIN for something. Sign up for a 5K, half marathon, marathon, or sprint triathlon. If you sign up for a race then you are more likely to train for it rather than go into a race and suck. There are tons of free training programs that you can find online.
Here’s a great Couch to 5K training plan.
Here’s a great Triathlon website with free training plans.
Now if you’ve never run a day in your life, I wouldn’t suggest going out and signing up for a marathon. Start small with Couch to 5K and work to that.
4. Find a WORKOUT CLASS that you love. I’ve been doing what’s called a HEAT class at my gym for about a year. It’s 4 days a week of high intensity weight lifting, cardio, and FUN! There are a few reason why I loved my class so much. First of all, the instructor was amazing. If you can find a class with an awesome instructor this will help keep you motivated. Second of all, I made friends with many of the people in the class. It was the same crew over and over and we got to know each other. Lastly, we did something different everyday. It wasn’t monotonous.
5. Find a GYM that offers a lot of classes. If you are looking for a gym that is. I am so lost if I go to the gym and workout on my own. I am about 10x less likely to push myself if I workout on my own. A class helps you stay motivated and push yourself to your limit. Another thing about gyms is you want to feel comfortable there.
6. Find a great HOME WORKOUT. Wow there are SO many now. And great ones to! The only downfall to these is making sure you actually DO them. These are awesome to have a friend or spouse to workout with you.
I’m going to name just a few that I’ve heard of and some I’ve tried.
- Bodyrock.tv is an awesome FREE website of workouts that you can do at home. The best part is that these are 12 minute workouts. EVERYONE has at least 12 minutes to devote to a workout.
- P90X is a great workout as well. Each workout DVD is different so you don’t get bored. The only disadvantage is that you need an hour to workout and the DVD’s are slightly expensive. However, they are probably less than a year of gym membership.
- Jillian Michaels has several DVD’s that will kick your bootay! Or so I’ve heard anyway. I’ve never tried her stuff out but I’ve heard they are tough and will whip you into shape!
- Insanity, I’ve heard is another bootay kicker! I’ve never tried it either but I’ve heard it’s super tough.
- Zumba is totally different than the others. It’s dancing your way to losing weight. This is a great alternative if you aren’t into the typical workout.
Those are just a few I can think of right now. Feel free to leave anything that works for you in the comments!
7. If at all possible, work out in the MORNING. This one is super tough. Most people don’t like to get up any earlier than they have to. On the flip side, most people don’t feel like working out after working all day. I sure don’t. Get it over with in the morning and you won’t dread it all day. Just think, if you do a 12 minute workout, you only need to get up 20 min. early. That’s chunk change.
8. Find and UNCONVENTIONAL way to exercise. If you like to play tennis, play tennis with a friend. Basketball? Go shoot some hoops. Being in the yard? Pull some weeds and mow the lawn with a push mower. Do you like to golf? Walk the golf course rather than ride. Softball? Find a softball team that you can play with. Soccer? Find a soccer team. They offer this stuff for any age! There are SO many things that you can do to be active.
9. Get a HEART RATE MONITOR. This isn’t an absolute must but it will help a ton. It’s important to know your target hear rate and monitor it. Another great thing about heart rate monitors is it will tell you how many calories you burned during your workout. I would recommend one with a chest strap. They can be quite pricey if you buy them brand new. However, I just got a used one from Amazon for $35. The brand is Polar, which is an excellent brand. The one below is the one that I just got. Yup, it’s a men’s watch but it was way cheaper than a brand new one!
10. STICK WITH IT. You aren’t going to notice differences right away. You aren’t going to lose body fat right away. Don’t get frustrated! If you stick with your exercise routine you will slowly start to notice changes in the way you look. This is something I have to remind myself everyday!
I sure hope you found this helpful. Please feel free to share ANY tips that motivate YOU to get moving!
Thanks for stopping in :)
Linking Up To These Parties: Monday- Skip to my Lou Embellishing Life Craft-O-Maniac Its So Very Cheri Making the World Cuter C.R.A.F.T. The Girl Creative Tuesday- Sugar Bee Crafts Topsy Turvy Cakes Night Owl Crafting A Diamond in the Stuff Home Stories A to Z Today's Creative Blog Funky Polkadot Giraffe Wednesday- Trendy Treehouse Fireflies & Jellybeans Saturday MorningsThursday- Somewhat Simple Paisley Passions What Allie's Making Now Christina's Adventures House of Hepworths Friday- Sassy Sites Fingerprints on the Fridge Tatertots and Jello Chic on a Shoestring Decorating Sunday- Under the Table and Dreaming I Heart Nap Time